Want to start a vegetable garden this year?
The Transition Cornwall+ Food Action Group invites you to
Incredible Edible Plant Give-Away: On the Road
A free** vegetable plant give-away hosting in 4 locations around Cornwall.
** Each attendee will be offered 2 FREE vegetable plant seedlings (max 4 seedlings per household).
Everyone is welcome!
Physical Distancing Measures and Guideline
Designed in partnership with the Eastern Ontario Health Unit
Drive-Thru Locations – When you arrive:
- Drive into parking lot toward tent
- Stop car at tent, get out to open trunk, and return to the side of your car
- One TC+ volunteer (masked) will come with a cart and stand near your truck
- Select 2 plants and some seeds from what volunteer says is available
- Plants will be placed into your trunk by volunteer
- Move to close your trunk only when volunteer has left
- Hop into your car, follow the line to the exit
- Happy planting!
Pop-Up Shop Location – When you arrive:
- Please arrive wearing a mask
- Line-up away from the pop-up container, 2 meters apart using the distance markers
- At front of the line, wait and choose plants from supply list on the blackboard
- A volunteer will retrieve your selection and leave them for you on the stool
- Pick up plants from pick-up stool once the volunteer has moved away
- Take a bag if needed to carry home
- Move away from the tent and follow exit signs away from the line-up
- Happy planting!
All working surfaces will be disinfected regularly. Volunteers will be wearing masks to lower the risk of close contact. The high number give-away locations is intended to discourage large crowds of people. Please be safe and considerate of your fellow gardeners and neighbours.
Want to volunteer? Contact [email protected]
Have Extra Seedlings To Share?
Are you one of the happy gardeners who started too many vegetable seeds this spring? Are edible perennials and herbs taking over?
Don’t toss them into the compost pile!
We will take all extra edible seedlings and perennials for this give-away event.
Please email [email protected] so we can work to arrange the drop-off before the event.
It Takes A Village: A Special Thank You
This event has been made possible through in-kind support from the Social Development Council of Cornwall and Area, the Eastern Ontario Health Unit, the City of Cornwall Recreation and Municipal Works departments, Cornwall and Area Housing Corporation, Marlin’s Orchard and Garden Centre, and the host businesses listed above who have welcomed us into their parking lots.
A huge thanks to all the volunteers who have helped with this event including:
- those gardeners in the community who have grown hundreds of plants to give away,
- volunteers who are delivering plants to different organizations and social housing locations throughout SDG, and
- those volunteers helping out with the repotting of plants and the giveaway on the 29th.
Finally, Transition Cornwall+ would also like to take this opportunity to thank all essential staff and service workers who have been tirelessly working to keep our community safe and running during these challenging times.
May we all continue to grow and support each other, now and into our future.
Let’s Stay Social – Share Your Garden With Us
We are still here for you! Unfortunately, due to physical distancing guidelines, volunteers will no be able to chat about your garden plans or answer questions on-site. We know garden shop talk is sometimes the best part of our events, so we promise to be available on social media or by email to connect, celebrate, and help.
Don’t forget to send us pictures as thing grow!
- Website: www.transitioncornwall.com/food-action-group/
- Facebook: @TransitionCornwall
- Facebook Event: Incredible Edible Plant Festival: On The Road!
- Facebook Group: Cornwall, SD&G, Akwesasne Edible Gardening Group
- General Social Media: #TransitionCornwall #GrowCornwallSDG #IncredibleEdibles
- Email: [email protected]